Research Assistantships

To promote original or creative intellectual contributions by talented undergraduates, the University Honors Program provides qualified and motivated Honors students with opportunities to participate in research assistance with faculty around the university. If offered, Honors students can earn academic credit for their research assistantship through an Honors Contract. Click here for more information and FAQs on Honors Contracts.


Please Note: Positions are sorted by faculty home department. You do not need to have a major or minor in their department or school to apply unless specified otherwise in the position description. 

View Current Openings



All GW faculty members can advertise Research Assistant (RA) opportunities to students in the University Honors Program. Faculty must submit descriptions of research projects along with desired student qualifications. Students will apply for the position by submitting a statement of interest and résumé directly to the faculty member and faculty will select the student from the applicant pool. If you are a full-time GW faculty member, you can also allow students to earn academic credit through the Honors Program.

By advertising a RA opportunity to students in the Honors Program, faculty agree to:

  • Provide substantive research related assignments to student research assistants.
  • Provide student research assistants with a written evaluation of their work. 
  • Submit a grade (letter or P/NP) through the Honors Program for students’ research work (if work is done for academic credit).  

Request a Research Assistant


If you have questions about research assistantships, please contact a Program Manager.